Starting School in September 2020
This information only applies if you want to apply for September 2020 for your child to start primary or infant school (Reception year).
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
Find your catchment area school
Before applying for your child's starting school place:
Before you apply
You must read the relevant guidance pages below before applying:
- Key dates
- How places are allocated
- Address information (including shared residency)
- Moving house during an allocation round
- Applying for a place under the exceptional and compelling category
- Parental responsibility and parental disputes
- School admission policies
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
Follow our checklist to ensure you have completed all the necessary steps before applying.
Places for all Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 classes have a limit of 30 pupils per teacher. If the 30th child given a place is a twin (or a child from a multiple birth) the other siblings may also be given a place, as permitted exceptions.
- You can apply for up to three different schools. Rank the schools in order of preference - the first school listed should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all three preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- Please be realistic with your preferences. If you chose an oversubscribed school, the further away you live the less likely you are to be offered a place.
- Do not include a school that you do not want as a preference as you may be offered this school.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- After the application deadline you cannot change your preferences unless there is a genuine unforeseeable reason for doing so, for example, if a sibling changes school.
Apply for a place
You can apply for a starting school place from 9.00am on Monday 7 October 2019 until Wednesday 15 January 2020.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email or letter, depending on how you applied. No information will be provided over the phone.
Applications received before 11.59pm on 15 January 2020
If you applied online we will email you the outcome of your application on Thursday 16 April 2020. Emails will be sent throughout the day so we can't give you an exact time.
If you applied by paper form you will be sent a letter with the outcome by second class post on Thursday 16 April 2020.
Applications received after 11.59pm on 15 January 2020
If your application was received between 16 January and 14 February 2020 it is out of time, and your preferences will only be considered after all the applications received on time. You will be sent a letter with the outcome by second class post on Thursday 16 April 2020.
Applications received after Friday 14 February 2020 are late and outside the normal admissions round. They will not be processed until after 22 May 2020. You will be sent a letter after this date.